The intention of this online course is to present different ways to integrate ICTs to your learning activities. This course provides different examples and tutorials with free tools that can be used on all devices. You will also learn how to organize your classroom, technological tools and activities according to your situation and needs. Integrating technology to your class does not have to be complex but it does need to suit the learning intentions.
Module 1 : Observe your environment and identify all the resources available. Module 2 : Set learning intentions. Module 3 : Explore various technological tools. Module 4 : Try one of the tools you wish to integrate into your practice. Module 5 : Find out ways to organize your classroom and students when using technology. Module 6 : Plan a learning sequence and create material to use with students. Module 7 : Reflect on your process during this online course.
After completing these modules, you will have a knowledge of various technological tools you could use in many learning contexts with students. After creating activities and trying them with students, you will reflect on your practice. If you wish to earn a badge, you will complete assignments in various activities and a course monitor will award them to you once all the conditions are met.
Here are the descriptions of the badge you could earn by completing assignments:
You explored four suggested tools and completed the assignment “Explore Different Tools”.
You created an activity or resource and used it in class. You submitted your homework to explain your experience.
With an appropriate learning intention, you created and submitted a learning sequence using at least 2 suggested tools.
You reflected on significantly transferring your learning into your practice. You shared documents that showcase(d) your development.
Throughout this course, some activities require that you answer questions in a personal booklet. It is a tool you will be able to keep for future reference in your practice. Once it is downloaded, it will be saved in your Office or Google drive.
1. Context and Environment
Duration: 30 minutes Level of difficulty: beginner
Observe your environment and all the tools available to help in the integration of technology into your practice.
2. Answer these questions to check your understanding of this article in your Participant Booklet.
Question 1: Choose which answer best describes what a Grecian Urn is in the given text:
A. A project that looks creative and hands-on but that lacks substantial learning in the given subject. B. Using creativity to turn a boring project into a fun one. C. A way to maximize student implication in a given project by letting them be creative with parts of the project. D. A project that becomes too complicated because of all the subject matter students need to learn to carry it out.
Question 2 : Explain how what you have just read or heard can be transferred or applied to the context of using technology in the ESL classroom.
Question 3 : Can you hypothesize how learning intentions can help prevent Grecian Urn projects?
Module 3: Activity 4: Earn a Discover Badge Assignment
Write down the names and a short description of each of the 4 tools you have explored in this module.
After review from the course monitors, when all the conditions are met, you will be awarded a Discover Badge.
4. Try it Out!
Duration: 2 hours Level of difficulty: beginner (after exploring the module 3 exploration)
Go beyond the exploration of the tools with tutorials and examples of pedagogical uses. Completing a challenge will help you understand how to navigate through a chosen tool and understand how to integrate it into your planning.
Apply Badge Opportunity Activity 3 of this module offers the choice to complete a task to earn a badge.
Use your Participant Booklet to complete the activities in this module.
1. Set the learning intention of your activity and choose the appropriate tool. 2. Complete the tasks of your chosen tool to understand how to use it. 3. How would you use it in class? Give examples of activities you could adapt or moments you could integrate this tool.
You can always complete more than one challenge. You will have access
to all these resources as long as the online course is available.
Module 4 - Activity 3 : Create an activity and and try it out! Assignment
1. Write a text that describes your appropriation of the tool in your Personal Booklet. This text should include:
a description of the activity you created with one of the tools
an explanation of how this tool suits your learning intention?
a description of the chosen tool
a link with the 3 phases of the pedagogical act (when to use it and how)
a link with the competencies
any pertinent information related to your experience with this tool
a description of your experiment in class with your students
2. Apply Badge Opportunity If you wish to earn a badge, attach all the necessary files and send them to be reviewed by the course monitors.
Files to attach to the assignment in the online course:
1. Personal Booklet: A copy of your text written in Module 4 - Activity 3: Describe your Experience.
2. A proof of the activity with an image, document or link.
Course monitors will review your text and give your badge when all the conditions are met.
5. Classroom and Material Organization
Duration: 30 minutes Level of difficulty: beginner
Find out ways to organize your classroom, materials and students when using technology.
Activity 1 : Reflection on your learning process during this online course.
How has this online course helped you integrate technology into your pedagogy.
How can you further improve your integration of technology? What are your next steps?
Module 7 - Activity 2: Transfer Badge Opportunity Assignment
If you wish to earn a Transfer Badge, it's now time to complete a final task. Your intention is now to reflect on your process during this online course.
1. To reflect on your learning during this course, answer the questions in the Participant Booklet.
2. When you're ready to share your reflection, attach the following file(s) to this assignment. If all the elements are included, you could also use one of the suggested tools in module 3 to present your reflection (video response, narrated video, online book, etc.)
What to include:
Model or example created with one of the tools
Module 6 learning sequence
Module 7 answers to reflection questions in your Participant Booklet.
1. How has this online course helped you integrate technology into your pedagogy?
2. How can you further improve your integration of technology? What are your next steps?
3. Course monitors will review your work and give a Transfer Badge if all the conditions are met.
Remember, it's not the result that counts, it's the process and the reflection behind it.
Additional Tools and Resources
Find additional information in suggested websites.